Sunday 14 March 2010

Stash Busting With Shimelle {Scrap Sunday}

Shimelle's new class - Something From (Almost) Nothing - started earlier this week, but I didn't really have opportunity to act on the wonderful, stash busting prompts until last night. Inspiration and enthusiasm was at an all time high though and for a couple of hours I was unbelieveably productive! Here's the evidence -

Our stash busting prompts were all about using up our metal embellishments and our paper scraps. Since, I feel totally at home using up my paper scraps, I hauled out my box full of teeny, tiny (but glorious) scraps of paper and sorted through it looking for some scraps that would co-ordinate with a photograph of my parents - one I've been meaning to scrap for a long time!

Count The Garden By The Flowers

Embellishment Detail - Count The Garden By The Flowers

Everything, except the base cardstock came from my scrap collection - including the leftover rub-ons and three little bits of bling that have been hanging around since last year. I added some stitching and some of my favourite scrap flowers to give the layout a little bit of depth and I'm really happy with how 'sunny' it feels.

Feeling really spurred on by completing the layout, I thought I'd tackle metal embellishments. Since the embellishments I used were things I use most of the time anyway, I decided to give myself an extra little challenge to make some cards.

Hi Card - Black, White & Pink

Hi Card - Lime, Pink & Turquoise

I've never made cards before and, for some reason, I didn't feel all that confident. I mainly used the scraps that were left over from creating my layout (bonus points?) and added just a couple of embellishments - pins and brads - to give the cards a finished look. And, I'm so happy with the results that I'll definitely be making more cards.

What do you think folks?

19 comments:

  1. Wow...Clair, making the world a more beautiful place with scraps. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous!!! thinking these splendors are made of leftovers!! isn't it amazing, and so rewarding ;))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love the flowers you made!! How did you get that wonderful distressed look on the edges? I recently tried making flowers like this and crumpled them up a bit, but they don't have as much texture as I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've e-mailed Sharyn but for everyone else's benefit I use my scalpel to distress the edges of cardstock and paper. It seems to give it a bit more 'fluff' or 'roughness' than using a nail file. Just be careful :)

    I then scrumple each layer up into a little ball, flatten it out and stack them. Once I've put the brad in I then scrunch the layers up around the brad a little to give them a bit more lift.

    Enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I *love* *love* *love* these!! Just been admiring them on Shimelle's forum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving the second card the best. I love the pin detail the most I think (I have a soft spot for sewing notions)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just popped over from Shimelle's to say how much I love your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think they are all great - well done to include paper scraps and metal embellishments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh clair so much loveliness in one post!!1 :-)
    I love the flowers and i too use a scalpel or the edge of scissors cos they DO rough up better. i must use my sewing machine more on my pages. what stitches and length etc. would u suggest?
    Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cute! make more cards, please make more cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I really need to make some of those lovely flowers..this is one inspiring blog Clair!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your layout, Clair! I've been seeing these layered flowers here and there but have yet to try them myself. After seeing yours, I'll be giving them a go myself very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those cards are simply fantastic!! I love, love, love the paper flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Clair! Had to come back to have another look at your lovely flowers and to thank you for emailing me your technique. I really appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hiya Clair. Glad you had so much fun. You rocked it. I like the word scrumple. Happy happies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. love that pic of your mum and dad, and who said you could not make cards they are gorgeous espec the 2nd one just love those pins x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are seriously beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous work - as always. I just wanted to let you know I scaplifted the page for Shimelle's new challenge and my (poor imitation) version is here

    http://dollysdreamings.typepad.com/dollys_dreamings/2010/04/easter-blessings-freebie.html

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments! Thank you x