Monday 18 January 2010

Pretty Pastels {Fashion Forward}

Fashion Forward folks should make the most of their winter wardrobes, because spring is in the air and there is about to be a shift away from the strong, jewel colours normally associated with Christmas and New Year to a softer, more feminine look.

Heavily influenced by the trend for vintage clothing, we will soon be awash with pale (but interesting) shades of pink, lilac, mint, lemon and soft grey. The highstreet is about to get pretty.

Keep it simple, by combining no more than two colours together for a suitably subtle look and use black sparingly - lest you look like a liquorice allsort! Or maybe team those pretty pastels with a neutral like beige, khaki or tan, eh?

Candy Colours

Items in this set: Temperley London Cobra Silk Dress, £440; Corduroy 3/4 Jacket, £21; Champagne Leather Shoes, £162; L'est Rose Satin Bow Clutch, £66; and Natural Bangle Set, £25

In theory, this trend is absolutely perfect for me. I love sophisticated glamour (when I can get it) and I am head over heels in love with vintage styling. So, what's the problem? Well, in reality these colours just don't suit me. I'm dark haired but pale skinned. Put a pretty, pale pink dress on me and I look as though I've been made-up as an extra for True Blood. Most unfortunate.

So, I'll be sticking to a slightly darker palette - though I might still treat myself to a little candy coloured retail therapy. The rest of you may want to head on down to New Look who have this trend completely covered and have some nice altervatives to that lovely, but rather expensive, Temperley Dress.

Oh, and before I head off, please check out the Official Polyvore Blog. They featured my Rachel set from last week's Fashion Forward in their weekly blog round-up. Yay!

You know what to do, right?



13 comments:

  1. oh I love this set! I love the color, such a sweet color :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, that JACKET!!! Hi Clair. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Temperley... *sigh* what a beautiful dress :)
    Fabulous Fashion Forward Clair.
    Kylie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful set! The colors and everything look so very nice together. :)

    <3Mae

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohh this set is so classy. I am in love with the dress regardless of price tag, it just oozes sophistication.

    And I posted about zombie shoes.

    Okay, I'll go now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't feel like Spring is approaching... we have lots of cold and rain here for now :(
    But I also love that vintage glamour style! Even though I usually wear darker colours I love to combine white with beige or shades of denim...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just the loveliest collage, Clair! You have such a way of collecting and arranging images. And how exciting that you've made it to the Polyvore blog! Please don't forget us when some big magazine swoops you up to layout their fashion spreads, or when a Hollywood starlet books your styling services, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it's cute. I would definitely wear that dress, but...alas, I also have the pale skin/dark hair thing going on. Annoying!

    Congrats on the feature :D They obviously know a good thing when they see it! Yay you!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the vintage look of the dress Clair! It is gorgeous. Congrats on being featured on Polyvore's Blog...Yay! Do a little dance :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a gorgeous dress.

    congrats on your feature! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the polyvore blog feature! How fun! Beautiful set you've got here. I've got the same coloring and so I tend to go a little darker too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you on the pale skin/don't suit pastels thng. We'll have to try bolder variations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, congrats on your feature! :-)

    I have a similar problem with pastels - pale skin and bright red hair just don't seem to set off pale pastelly colours very well!! I love your picks though x

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments! Thank you x