Sunday 28 April 2013

Creative Leftovers - Something From (Almost) Nothing

Is it just me that gets a ridiculous amount of satisfaction from using little leftovers? I love to stretch my stash, especially when I consider how much money I've invested in it! Fireline Thread is fairly expensive - and, amongst beaders at least, it's considered to be a precious commodity. So, it is with much shame that I must confess that I never, ever measure how much thread I'm using when I start a new project. I just reel out about a 'wingspan and a half' for pretty much every project that I start. Inevitably, I'm often left with about a foot of beading thread at the end of some projects - and that's really not enough to start another major project. 

But, I do hate wasting anything. So a little while back, I started to combine those little bits of leftover thread with seed beads leftover from larger beading projects to make these dinky, little star motifs. And, eventually, I ended up with a little pot full of them! 

28th April (2)

Materials: Blue Moon Beads - 4mm Champagne Glass Pearls & Silver Plated Chain; Miyuki Size 11 Seed Beads - Fancy-Frosted Pale Seafoam Green & Matte Opaque Cream.

After working on my Random Snow Bracelet earlier this week, I had a few Champagne 4mm Glass Pearls leftover. Rather than find somewhere to stash them, I had a little rummage through my Pot O' Stars and found some made in a combination of cream and seafoam. A perfect match for the champagne pearls! I wire-wrapped the pearls and attached some tiny little jumprings to each of the stars, then attached them at regular intervals to some chain. And there we have it - something from (almost) nothing!

I'd love to know what you've been busy making this weekend and what you'll be doing with your creative leftovers. Please do tell in the comments! 

7 comments:

  1. I love this idea!!! I've been using up leftovers, too - in bead embroidery!! I've been sewing down left over components, and then adding embroidery around them, so that they aren't wasted. I think it will eventually be a purse perhaps, but for right now they are just little 2x2 squares with stuff on. ;) I LOVE your pendant, it's beautiful and feminine and delicate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous, my dear :) You are a most talented lady!

    PS I finished your Christmas gift at last - not quite in time for your birthday, ahem... Look forward to seeing you soon and handing it over! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cool idea! Now to get back in there to my bead table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those stars are so cute! I have a lot of those seed beads, are they easy to make? I love the finished necklace too. (PS, I'm not doing Project Life, I'm just using split page protectors for a holiday album. I could never keep up with PL!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes i get a great deal of satisfaction from using scraps (of paper!). those stars look super cute Clair x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just discovered your blog. Love your wit and these stars and your color combo as well. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab idea clair. Let's see how long i can do this for lol xxx

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments! Thank you x