Wednesday 9 November 2011

Scrapbook Paper From Scraps

It's one of those ideas that has been on my craft to do list for far too long, so when we were prompted to use quilting as an inspiration during Shimelle's Pretty Paper Party, I knew I had finally been given the 'excuse' I needed to work on a more time intensive project - making my own scrapbook paper from scraps.

So, I gathered together the scraps from my October Counterfeit Kit and pulled out some additional scraps in more neutral colours. I planned a very simple design, no fancy cutting for me - just beautiful papers, colour and stitching.

I cut myself a 12x12 sheet of plain white cardstock, then arranged my scraps in a very rough order before cutting them down to size. Since I knew I would be stitching onto my project, I used a simple glue stick which has the added advantage of keeping the scraps mobile for a moment or two while you manoeuvre them into position.

To finish off the paper, I used a simple zigzag stitch on my sewing machine. And believe me when I tell you that it's not perfectly straight. Still, I seriously couldn't be happier with the results.
Scrapbook Paper From Scraps
Oddly, the morning after I finished my stitching, the Counterfeit Kit Challenge posted a tutorial on creating your own Patchwork Paper Using Scraps. It's a more structured pattern, but it is beautifully made and there's some excellent tips for those of you who might not be confident enough to sit down and just start stitching.

27 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I love it! Really beautiful mix of papers too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so strange - I have a very similar sheet where I did the exact same thing ... I must take a photo. Mine was for a amgazine feature and after made the patchwork background I cut shapes from it [by hand + with dies]. So ... you might like that too. Maybe!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea to use as paper to put in a lovely big fram with a large mat behind it - lovely colour choices Clair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really beautiful, but I think after constructing it, I really would, quite literally, cry if I had to cut it up. I would love to see what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely done! I've done bits with hexies but I like your random rectangles much better - and you've picked lovely patterns too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful paper quilt you made!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks wonderful and a great way ti use up scraps ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, that is aboslutely gorgeous. :)

    (it doesn't need to be perfectly straight! I sure couldn't tell!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous!!! I love the irregular patchwork!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This couldn't be more perfect! What a happy combination of patterns. Love love love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! So incredible that you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! All the patterns and colors look so great together! Fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clever idea, and the end result is just perfect. Am much inspired - thank you!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is absolutely excellent!!!!!! I love the idea and I love the look of it with your mix of papers! I have to pin it to remember to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks fabulous. I might do this with some of my prized paper scraps and then use it to cover a book or something so I don't have to cut it up or hide any of it with photos! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to see this fabulous paper highlighted over at CKC. I'm really going to have to have a go at making my own. If I look at my box of scraps I could make enough to wallpaper the flat! Love it even more at seeing it again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Your patchwork paper is gorgeous! This is one thing I'd love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nicely done! I like the randomness of your design, and great color choices.

    ReplyDelete

I <3 comments! Thank you x